so here i am. 48 hours before i start a looooooong flight to the country of taiwan. i'm feeling moderately overwhelmed. the feeling is stemming partially from not being fully packed, partially from having done little to no research on the country, but mostly from how quickly my leaving date snuck up on me.
on march 16th of this year, i arrived back in minnesota after spending a year teaching english at a kindergarten in south korea. korea was easily one of the best, most challenging/growing experiences i have had in life thus far. in turn, it's a huge reason why i made the decision to head to another asian land. but i still don't know how march 16th quickly became june 3rd. two days before i leave the comfort of my cozy bed, minnesota summer, friends, family and so much more.
it definitely feels different this time. leaving, that is. i can't say i'm a veteran of asia, or even a well seasoned traveler, but i do have a years worth of experiences that will come in handy during the upcoming year.
asia. certainly not where i envisioned myself ten, five or even two years ago. actually, when i think back to two years ago, i was just a fresh college grad. i had the world at my finger tips, but had ZERO plans to move anywhere outside of minnesota. it wasn't until a "series of events" happened (i.e. randomly getting an email from a korean recruiter and getting several pushes from friends who had either been to korea teaching or were currently there) that I truly wanted to leave the place i call home.
most of you who know me well, know that when i get an idea in my head, there is little to no chance that the idea will change. basically, i make up my mind sometimes (usually) hastily and i very, VERY rarely go back on it. this characteristic has proved to be both a benefit and hindrance at many different times in my life. anyways, i got an idea in my head. the idea of picking up my well established life in minnesota and flying halfway around the world, just to start a new one. to a place where i had no friends, family, knowledge of the language, or real idea of the korean teaching style. i was naive to say the least, but i wouldn't change a thing about my decision to go to korea, as it truly was a "once in a lifetime experience".....until i made the decision to return to it's neighboring country-taiwan.
i sometimes wish i was still as naive as i was before i left for korea. i wrote my grandma an email today telling her a little about how i'm feeling at this moment. here's a part of the email. i think it will give a better idea of where i sit emotionally right now.
"This year, although it will still be an adventure, will be my second time living in Asia. I know what is feels like to not know a language, to not be able to communicate or read what the locals can and I know what it feels like to be constantly uncomfortable in the environment that I'm placed in. This year, I feel far more prepared for the challenges that I will surely face on a daily basis. I am practically a professional charades player (having to interact with so many people only through hand gestures). But the downfall of having experienced being gone for a long period before is knowing how hard it is to be away from family and friends. Last year, I hopped on a plane and had no idea what to expect. I had never been away from my family for more than 2 weeks total, so I had no idea how it would feel when those 2 weeks turned into 56+ weeks. But now I do. Honestly, probably one of the biggest things I learned being away last year is that family and friends are SOOOOOO important. Though I had a family in Korea (the friends I made), there is nothing like going home to family that has known you for life. Home to the people that helped me become who i am and have walked alongside of me since day one. The group of people that know every little detail about my life without having to tell them. For as annoying as that may seem sometimes, I now realized the importance of it. I am so thankful for the internet and being able to send emails and skype home, but there is nothing like a real hug from mom, a foot rub from dad or a day spent with my brother. So yes, I am very excited to leave for another year (Be with Kris and teach/travel again), but this time I realize the major sacrifice I will make as I board that plane: My comfortable bed, my beautiful state, clean streets and parks, the ability to fully communicate, "normal" foods, spending time with my friends, but mostly the unconditional love and support of my family. Although, that is something I carry with me as I cross the sea, it's a lot less tangible and this time i know it."
with that being said, i have never been more excited to get back to teaching, be able to travel and also meet new people. buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, what i am undoubtedly most excited about is seeing my wonderful boyfriend. it will be almost four months that we've spent apart. and as thankful as i am for skype, i can't wait to just be together again!
so here's to you, taiwan. the place i will call "home" for the next year. the land of subtropical climates, beautiful beaches, low cost of living and monkeys. and the land i will once again reunite with a beautiful kiwi boy named, kris.
i leave you with a picture of my (almost) packed bags. this is a proud moment as last year i had the green backpack you see, a (massive) black carry on purse, the big rolly bag you see AS WELL AS a second bag the size of the big rolly one. this year, i have drastically reduced my packing! hooray for less back aches and unneeded items when i get there!
cheers to all!

Good Luck Kaler! I will see you when i finish here in Korea! Keep me updated!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ccccchhh-rissss-uh! Looking forward to a visit from you! Throw little Jenny into your carry-on when ya come, will ya?!
ReplyDelete